People tell me they want to lose weight “all of the time.” Most people have in their head what they should be doing and many feel they are already doing a good job with food and possibly exercise as well. They just can’t understand why they aren’t dropping weight. I’m going to share with you the biggest roadblocks I commonly see that stop people from gaining results.
You must first understand that you need calories to burn calories. In addition, you need them at a constant and steady rate. You must eat small, eat healthy, and eat often. Write that down! When you build a fire you know that you need to keep putting wood in the fireplace to keep the fire going all day. That’s what provides the energy and resources to keep it burning! Without the wood the fire burns out. Similarly food stimulates your metabolism. Metabolism is how efficiently your body burns and breaks down the food you eat. When you only eat a couple times a day you are dumping food into an empty fireplace that has no means to start the fire. This kills metabolism and so you instead store fat.
Check out these all too common excuses I hear in response to my optimal health advice:
- “I can’t eat every 2-3 hours.”
- “I can’t eat breakfast. I’ve never been able to. It’s makes me sick or even more hungry all day.”
- “I can’t do a food diary. I don’t have time to weigh food and figure out portion sizes.”
- “I can’t afford healthy foods. I don’t have time to grocery shop.”
- “I can’t give up ______.”
- “I can’t eat something different than what I’m feeding my family.”
- “I can’t plan or prepare meals in advance. I don’t have time.”
- “I can’t eat that often. I can’t eat while I’m working. I’m too busy and my boss won’t let me.”
- “I can’t eat that often. I already don’t eat much right now.”
- “I can’t eat on a set plan. I’m an emotional eater.”
- “I JUST need to exercise.” -So much science refutes this excuse…
Do any of those phrases sound familiar to you? It’s okay. You’re not alone. But you need to recognize these barriers and address them now! All of those phrases tell me you aren’t REALLY ready for the change required to get healthier and lose weight that you can keep off. Right now it’s just a wish. You “wish” you could lose weight, but not enough to make the changes necessary to actually lose that weight. It’s much easier to just keep doing what you’ve always done. Change takes work and compromise.
You CAN’T do what you have always done and expect change. You also can’t “run away” (exercise) from nutrition. I encourage you to stay active but exercise alone is not enough. The bulk of your results will come from eating the right foods, the right way, and at the right times.
I know what works and I can tell you until I’m blue in the face but you aren’t going to do a darn thing about it until your mind is right and you’ve decided that the pain of staying the same is worse than the pain of change.
So get your head right and then come join me with Medifast and Optavia so I can be your health coach and hold you accountable. When you are ready, I’m ready. Now you just have to decide to start.
Barbara Grubbs, Nurse Practitioner
I am a health coach with Optavia/Medifast. You don’t have to use this program for me to help you. I just truly believe in it and know it works. At a minimum one month on this program may jump start you amazing results. If you’d like more information click here. You can shop meals and get your starter kit here.
You can contact me at Barbara@BarbaraGrubbs.com